Johns Hopkins Video of my story

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Detour- Welcome to the Jungle- Part I



Dear readers, we are taking a detour as we wind through the country of Costa Rica...I have been pulled away and a dear friend, Marisa Diaz, has offered to allow me to post her tale of adventure from her visit...so...


Welcome to the Jungle...



It was my first time seeing fireflies (sans the one time in Montana when I saw them...but it was nothing in comparison to this scene). My father and I had decided to take a day trip into the jungle in search of the howler monkeys we had heard the night before from our lodge. Accompanying us was our guide, Juan Carlos. We spent all day in the jungle soaking in the exotic wildlife.

Not only did we encounter the infamous howler monkies (which, by the way, sound like gargantuan gorillas even though they are ony a minutia of the size), we saw sloths, a plethora of colorful birds and screech monkies (I can't recall their exact name...but they are the cute ones with little white faces that you just want to kiss..and with the hands that are so adorable), among other creatures.

It was not promised that we would see anything on our venture, but what with the richness of the jungle life, it was unlikely that we would come up barren.

My father, more often than not, sat on the bench seat of the reconfigured "adventure jeep" with his binoculars pressed to his face; I, on the other hand - in part because I have the world's most unsteady hands when it comes to binoculars and in part because my body just couldn't stand sitting still...i had to feel the earth beneath my feet and to touch the plants around me - did double-duty by jumping in and out of the slow-moving jeep when it suited me.

As the day carried on and the night began to set in, per the advice of Juan Carlos, we started the journey back to our lodge. The twilight air was warm and breezy, a welcome change from the muggy weather only hours earlier.

No comments: